Question

Pushing Configuration from LPAgent to Windows LPAgent process

Badge

Sometimes, when creating a device, the configurations are not being pushed to the remote windows machines from LPAgent in Logpoint. What can be done?

2 replies

Badge +1

There may be many reasons for the LPAgent configuration not being pushed from LogPoint to the devices. The following things can be taken into considerations:

1. Check to see if the Windows machine is actually running or not and proper network connectivity is established between Logpoint and the device. This might seem trivial, but there are instances where the windows machines are not functioning in the first place.
  2. Run the telnet command on the device for port 7994 and 7995. Since these are the ports via which the configurations are pushed. There might be an issue with the lpagent which is deployed on the log source. You can also check if ports 7994 or 7995 are open on the device's end.
  3. Verify that the configured device is not configured as NAT IP. If NAT IPs are being used, then the configuration will need to be copied manually to the correct directory; C:\Program Files (x86)\lpagent\conf\lpagent.conf
  4. You can also verify logs present at given locations for further troubleshooting. 
    • LPAgent log files present on C:\Program Files (x86)\lpagent\data\lpagent.log
    • Logs present on /opt/immune/var/log/service/lpa_manager/current
Userlevel 1
Badge +3

First make sure that all of the configurations are okay and the firewall rules are allowing connection between these machines.

Here is a little workaround I tend to use without going lot technical provided that there are no other problems .

1. Restart the lpagent service in the corresponding windows machine and re-push the configurations. If it still doesn’t work, I go to the corresponding LPAgent folder in Local Disk C in the windows machine and note the timestamp when the lpagent config file was last updated. If it is still referring to older timestamp, I go to step 2.
  2. From the logpoint UI, I download the configurations for the particular agent. Then I manually copy the contents of configuration to the lpagent config file which is located under that ProgramFiles→ lpagent directory. Then restart the lpagent service and try to push the configurations again. 
  3. If the problem still persists, you can try removing the device and then reinserting the configurations. This is a prominent problem in cases where you have synced configurations among logpoints. In such cases LPAgent might show some issues.

It usually works for me by now. I understand that this is not a strictly technical solution, so feel free to suggest better solutions.