Export large amount of raw logs

• 24 March 2022
  • 2 replies

Hi @all

I need to export a large amount of raw logs - about 450 GB.

Is it possible for me to export this amount in one go via the Export Raw Logs functionality or do I need to export the raw logs sequentially?

Thx a lot!

2 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Theoretically you should be able to use the export function - but as the export would be via SCP or SFTP, I wouldn’t be surprised if there was a network hiccup inbetween, which might affect the export job.

What’s the use case? It might be better to open a Support ticket and get access to the storage/logs directory on your appliance, and then copying the raw log files away. Some older might be gzipped (on VMs or LogPoint > 7), but it should be reasonably easy to extract it all again “on the other side”, with the added benefit of being able to transfer most of the data in compressed form.

I know that several of the Support team members have worked on scripts for customers recently that wanted to copy data to the cloud or another system, so they should be able to help with that request and for example set up an rsync cron job or something similar, depending on the use case and destination.

Userlevel 4
Badge +8

We never had problems exporting several GBs of logs with the export feature.

Only thing to keep in mind is that the SCP export is really using the SCP protocol. The setting was called SFTP in previous LP versions and was changed on behalf of a feature request. 

A real SFTP server won’t work, you need SSH permission on the target system.

It’s also important to know that you have to perform the search in the UI and let it run through before starting the export.