Question

McAfee ePO - Some logs are not normalized

• 26 January 2022
  • 3 replies

Userlevel 1
Badge

Some logs coming from MCAfee ePo server are not being normalized. At first glance it seems that MCAfee introduced a new log type regarding PrintNightmare which LP does not recognize. I asked the customer and he indeeed uses McAfee to prevent users from installing new print drivers.

We are using LP 6.12.02 and McAfee application 5.0.1. The normalization policies include 

• McAfeeEPOXMLCompiledNormalizer
  • LP_McAfee EPO XML
  • LP_McAfee EPO Antivirus
  • LPÜ_McAfee EPO Antivirus DB
  • LP_McAfee EPO Antivirus DB Generic

Just added McAfeeVirusScanNormalizer. Maybe this will do the trick

Example log (i replaced some information with REMOVED BY ME)

<29>1 2022-01-24T06:52:07.0Z ASBSRV-EPO EPOEvents - EventFwd [agentInfo@3401 tenantId="1" bpsId="1" tenantGUID="{00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000000}" tenantNodePath="1\2"] ???<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?><EPOevent><MachineInfo><MachineName>REMOVED BY ME</MachineName><AgentGUID>{a231b576-9e3a-11e9-2dbc-901b0e8e1ab2}</AgentGUID><IPAddress>REMOVED BY ME</IPAddress><OSName>Windows 10 Workstation</OSName><UserName>SYSTEM</UserName><TimeZoneBias>-60</TimeZoneBias><RawMACAddress>901b0e8e1ab2</RawMACAddress></MachineInfo><SoftwareInfo ProductName="McAfee Endpoint Security" ProductVersion="10.7.0.2522" ProductFamily="TVD"><CommonFields><Analyzer>ENDP_AM_1070</Analyzer><AnalyzerName>McAfee Endpoint Security</AnalyzerName><AnalyzerVersion>10.7.0.2522</AnalyzerVersion><AnalyzerHostName>GPC2015</AnalyzerHostName><AnalyzerDetectionMethod>Exploit Prevention</AnalyzerDetectionMethod></CommonFields><Event><EventID>18060</EventID><Severity>3</Severity><GMTTime>2022-01-24T06:48:33</GMTTime><CommonFields><ThreatCategory>hip.file</ThreatCategory><ThreatEventID>18060</ThreatEventID><ThreatName>PrintNightmare</ThreatName><ThreatType>IDS_THREAT_TYPE_VALUE_BOP</ThreatType><DetectedUTC>2022-01-24T06:48:33</DetectedUTC><ThreatActionTaken>blocked</ThreatActionTaken><ThreatHandled>True</ThreatHandled><SourceUserName>NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM</SourceUserName><SourceProcessName>spoolsv.exe</SourceProcessName><TargetHostName>REMOVED BY ME</TargetHostName><TargetUserName>SYSTEM</TargetUserName><TargetFileName>C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\New\KOAK6J_G.DLL</TargetFileName><ThreatSeverity>2</ThreatSeverity></CommonFields><CustomFields target="EPExtendedEventMT"><BladeName>IDS_BLADE_NAME_SPB</BladeName><AnalyzerContentVersion>10.7.0.2522</AnalyzerContentVersion><AnalyzerRuleID>20000</AnalyzerRuleID><AnalyzerRuleName>PrintNightmare</AnalyzerRuleName><SourceProcessHash>b0d40c889924315e75409145f1baf034</SourceProcessHash><SourceProcessSigned>True</SourceProcessSigned><SourceProcessSigner>C=US, S=WASHINGTON, L=REDMOND, O=MICROSOFT CORPORATION, CN=MICROSOFT WINDOWS</SourceProcessSigner><SourceProcessTrusted>True</SourceProcessTrusted><SourceFilePath>C:\Windows\System32</SourceFilePath><SourceFileSize>765952</SourceFileSize><SourceModifyTime>2020-07-08  08:54:39</SourceModifyTime><SourceAccessTime>2021-03-05  10:58:36</SourceAccessTime><SourceCreateTime>2021-03-05  10:58:36</SourceCreateTime><SourceDescription>C:\Windows\System32\spoolsv.exe</SourceDescription><SourceProcessID>2852</SourceProcessID><TargetName>KOAK6J_G.DLL</TargetName><TargetPath>C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\New</TargetPath><TargetDriveType>IDS_EXP_DT_FIXED</TargetDriveType><TargetSigned>False</TargetSigned><TargetTrusted>False</TargetTrusted><AttackVectorType>4</AttackVectorType><DurationBeforeDetection>28068597</DurationBeforeDetection><NaturalLangDescription>IDS_NATURAL_LANG_DESC_DETECTION_APSP_2|TargetPath=C:\Windows\system32\spool\DRIVERS\x64\3\New|TargetName=KOAK6J_G.DLL|AnalyzerRuleName=PrintNightmare|SourceFilePath=C:\Windows\System32|SourceProcessName=spoolsv.exe|SourceUserName=NT-AUTORITÄT\SYSTEM</NaturalLangDescription><AccessRequested>IDS_AAC_REQ_CREATE</AccessRequested></CustomFields></Event></SoftwareInfo></EPOevent>

3 replies

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Had a quick check but can’t find anything specifically for these messages or whether anything has changed. With EPO agreggating logs it is a bit confusing as to what log message would be normalised by what, so for most vendors I usually just add all the available normalisers in order of likelihood and hope for the best. I’m not sure whether “Virusscan” logs (if that’s even still the name) would make their way into EPO or not.

But if those log messages continue to not be normalised then the best best is a Support ticket.

Userlevel 1
Badge

I think these kind of log messages have been introduced with PrintNightmare and McAfee feature to prevent print driver being installed as reaction to it a couple of month ago.

Now i have all normalizer for McAfee applied to the normalization policy. If these logs are still not normalized, i will open a support ticket.

Andre

Userlevel 4
Badge +7

Thanks for letting us know - these things are really tricky to spot on our own, so it really helps when customers and partners report them.